Stuffed Delicata Squash
This is a one-squash recipe, so if you want to make more, simply double or triple the recipe!
I don’t know about you, but if I’m at the grocery store and I see a new vegetable (or something I don’t buy often) that’s on sale, I grab it. This time? A delicata squash for $1.00. Of course I bought it!
And the other day, I made a stuffed acorn squash, so it just made sense to stuff this one too.
STUFFED DELICATA SQUASH
Makes 2 stuffed halves (serves 2 adults), 6 months and up
- 1 delicata squash
- olive oil
- 1/2 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- dried oregano
- pinch of salt
- shredded cheese of choice
- Carefully slice the squash into half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds. You can discard them OR save them for roasting!
- Soften the squash. Microwave for 5-7 minutes (1 minute at a time) or roast it at 400F for about 20 minutes. A fork should easily pierce it, but you don’t want it to be mushy.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (unless it’s already preheated from step 3!).
- In a skillet, heat the oil and sauté the sweet potato for 10 minutes (if the pieces were small, this step won’t take very long).
- Once the sweet potato is slightly tender, add the onion and beef, oregano, and salt. Cook until the beef is browned.
- Place the squash into a glass baking dish. Add a bit of water to the dish, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish. You don’t need the squash to go swimming or anything.
- At the bottom of each squash, sprinkle a little cheese.
- Scoop the beef and veggie mixture into the squash.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
BEGINNERS. This should be okay for 6 months and up! The only issue is the cheese, if your baby is intolerant of dairy. Additionally, there’s a bit of salt that’s added. There’s no other salt in this dish, so a tiny amount can be omitted if you’d like. To serve? Simply use a fork or spoon and scoop out some of the insides to give to your baby!