Shrimp Tacos with Yogurt Sauce
You know how sometimes you make a recipe, it’s awesome, and then you forget about it? Then way down the road, you make it again and think, “DANG that’s awesome. Again. Why the heck did I wait so long to make it again?”
That’s this recipe. I don’t know why I waited so long to make it again. It’s so good! And honestly, pretty darn quick. You can finish it in 30 minutes or less.
Shrimp is a shellfish, so it’s a potential allergen. The yogurt sauce (which can just be left off for a younger babe) is dairy (though you could probably use a soy or coconut yogurt with similar results). And the shrimp are fried; you could use any sort of flour to coat them. We used regular all-purpose flour, but you could use almond flour or even coconut flour. You can also use cornmeal.
Here’s your recipe!
INGREDIENTS (these are approximate!!)
- 1 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp (medium or large)
- 1-2 eggs (start with 1 and add another if you need it!)
- 1/2 cup or so of flour (or cornmeal or whatever) – it’s just for coating, so that’s an approximate measurement
- about 3/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- flour tortillas
- 1/4 of a cabbage, shredded or chopped finely
- Heat some oil (we used coconut) in a skillet. Medium heat is good.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and put the flour in a second bowl.
- Dip the shrimp in eggs, then flour, then place them in the skillet.
- Once browned, flip them. Let them cool on a wire rack if you have one!
- While the shrimp are cooking, make your yogurt sauce. Just mix the yogurt, lemon, salt, cilantro, and cumin in a bowl.
- Also shred your cabbage and slice or mash your avocado (we sliced ours).
- In a tortilla, put some cabbage, avocado, and shrimp, then drizzle the sauce on top.
- For a baby, you can place 1 or 2 shrimp, 1 or 2 avocado slices, a few bites of tortilla and cabbage on the tray. You can drizzle the sauce on the shrimp or tortilla if you think your baby will try it like that.