Off-Topic Tuesday: Instagram Tips
Today, for Off-Topic Tuesday, I’m sharing a bunch of useful Instagram tips. I have gotten specifics questions over the past few months, so I figured I would address them all at once! I DO include some of the seriously basic, never-used-Instagram-before kind of tips. But I figured I would be thorough.
NOTE: I have an iPhone 5, so Instagram may be very different on a Samsung or other device. (Any of you guys want to watch this and fill me in?)
After the video, I share the tips in words. Enjoy!
1. Editing and Posting a Photo
- Tap the “camera” button.
- Go to your Camera Roll or tap the big blue button to take a new picture.
- Choose a photo and click NEXT.
- Tap the wrench button to change photo settings.
- Play with the photo settings! (Brightness, contrast, saturation, warmth, etc.)
- Click NEXT.
- Type your caption and click SHARE.
2. Adding Paragraphs in a Caption, Tagging People, and Using Hashtags
- Use the @ symbol to tag someone in a caption.
- Go to the number keypad and press “Return” to create a new paragraph.
- Use the # symbol to create a hashtag. A unique hashtag makes it easier to find a photo later. For example, #babyboy is used by a lot of people. But #bethanylovesherbabyboy is a little more specific and will be easier to find later.
- To tag someone in the photo (without the name showing up in the caption), click “Tag People”, then type the person’s username.
3. Searching for Hashtags
- Tap the Explore button (looks like a compass).
- Select “Hashtags” at the top.
- Either search for a key term, or select one you’ve used recently.
4. Liking, Commenting, and Replying
- To like a picture, just double-tap it. You can also scroll down and click “Like”.
- To leave a comment, press “Comment”. Type your comment and click “Send”.
- From that screen, you can reply to a comment by swiping LEFT then clicking the arrow.
- To delete a comment, swipe LEFT on the comment and click the trashcan. [NOTE: You can only delete comments on your own pictures.]
5. Reading and Sending Direct Messages
- Go to your home screen, and tap the box at the top right of the screen.
- (If you have any messages, you can reply to them there.)
- To send a direct message, click the + sign.
- Choose which picture you want to send, from your Camera Roll or by taking a new picture.
- Click NEXT, type a caption, and choose recipients.
- Click Send!
6. Sharing or Deleting a Picture
- Select the picture you want to share or delete.
- Click the ellipses (3 dots).
- There are a lot of options (Share, Delete, Copy URL…).
Was that helpful?
Do you have questions that I didn’t answer?