Avocado Fries (6 months+, Whole30, Paleo)
My husband and I love avocado. Alexander did not even try avocado for a FULL YEAR. Seriously… he was 18 months, and I tried giving him avocado for the 1,000th time. And he ate it! It was a good day.
Fast forward another 12 months or so…. now he does not like avocado anymore. On occasion he’ll take a tiny little bite. But those are also just good days.
Maybe today is just another good day. Or maybe it’s these fries.
But Alexander actually LIKES THESE. He likes avocado today. And I’m pumped.
This calls for almond meal: ours was homemade. (You’d make your own almond milk. Then take the leftover pulp, dehydrate it in the oven for a while, then stick the dehydrated pulp into a blender or food processor. Voila! Almond meal.)
If you don’t have (or want) almond meal, just use breadcrumbs. I used an egg wash, but you can use a bit of oil instead. It just helps create a crunchy crust. Yours may not be as crunchy; I can’t vouch for an eggless version of this! If you try it, hmu. (That’s kid talk for HIT ME UP.)
INGREDIENTS (for about 12 fries)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt for an older baby!
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the peel and pit, cut it into strips. I cut them widthwise: if you cut lengthwise, you’ll end up with about 8 fries instead of 12.
- In one bowl, whisk one egg. In a second bowl, dump the almond meal (and salt).
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Dip each avocado piece into egg then almond meal. Place them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until they look a little brown!
- CAUTION: They are HOT INSIDE for a few minutes! Even though they don’t feel hot outside, the inside is really hot.